Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Can't find the words....

So I am the Maid of Honor in my best friend Linsey's wedding coming up in 3 weeks.  I keep thinking about my speech and every time I think about it I start to panic.  Not sure as to why, but I think it is mainly due to selfish reasons. 



Linsey and I have been friends since we were in Elementary/Junior High...not really sure when we actually became friends but long enough for me to be allowed the selfish attitude...at least I think. LOL! Don't get me wrong I really want to wish them a Happily Ever After.  I am glad she is happy, but all I keep thinking about is when I was younger my Mom always told me that "Once your friends get married that was it for the friendship".  Linsey is my last close friend to be getting married and that scares me.....I AM THE LAST ONE LEFT! (I guess the saying is true "Save the best for last"...hehe.)  Every time I think about it my eyes swell up and I just want to cry.  I know she is happy and I know that this is a part of life, but yet I feel like I am going to be burying a friendship or friendships.  I don't believe it will happen, but with other friends I have noticed that once they get married I sort of separate myself, mainly because I don't want to feel like a bother or a third wheel, which I am completely used to.  I have always asked her never to use the phrase "I am marrying my best friend", because that makes me feel like I have been replaced.  To me I am irreplaceable and the same goes for her and the rest of my friends I love them all like they are my sister's.



I don't have anything against marriage, I believe in marriage, and I am not bitter because I am the last one.  I always knew I would be the last one and that is ok.  My mother's words have always haunted me and now that day is nearing.  I can easily see me as a distant memory in all of my friends lives and I hate being able to see that!  Believe me I would knock down their door if they tried to be rid of me and we have all said that we will never allow one another to end the friendship, but most of the time life gets in the way and the friendship fades. 



I guess what I am trying to say is, how do you stand up in front of all of their friends and family and talk about your life with your best friend and wish the happy couple their fairytale ending all without bursting into tears to mourn the end of an era? 




2 comments:

  1. You and Linsey control your friendship, not a marriage!!! Whether you stay close is between you and her, and if I know her she is not going to let this friendship go sour!! I'll tell you how you stand up and give a speech!! You look at your Best Friend, hold your head up high and tell what best friends you ARE and what Best Friends you will ALWAYS be!!! You be there for her now, because I know she is stressed and needs your friendship now more than ever!! I know for a fact that she will always be there for you anytime you need her!!! Look at it this way, your not losing a friend your gaining in a way another Brother-in-law!!! Hang in there Natalie it's going to be fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe I hope that isn't true. I am the first of my close group of friends to get marriage and I want our relationships to stay as strong as ever. I hope the wedding was excellent!
    www.crystalcattle.com

    ReplyDelete